5.15.2014

Graduation!

I am so thankful i was able to get my education. And feel so blessed to have been able to do that at BYU. I technically finished last December, and already got my diploma in the mail, but they only have graduation ceremonies in April. I wasn't even going to walk, but then last minute decided to do it. And I am so glad that I did. It was such a cool thing to experience. President Uchtdorf was one of the speakers. He, along with all of the other speakers, emphasized that the importance of our education was how we will use it to serve. They didn't talk about success, or climbing the ladder, or wealth, but how we would serve and build the kingdom of God. Amazing. My favorite part about going to school at BYU was going  to class and not only learning secularly, but spiritually as well. I feel like Elder Russell M. Nelson said it well when he talked about it in his most recent Conference talk. "Whether truth emerges from a scientific laboratory or through revelation, all truth emanates from God. All truth is part of the gospel of Jesus Christ." He went on to talk about how one of his medical colleagues told him he needed to separate his professional knowledge from his spiritual knowledge. He wondered how he could do that? and came to the conclusion that he couldn't. What he said basically sums up the way I feel about learning-and I loved learning that way. In my major I spent most of my time learning about the body. Anatomy, Physiology, Exercise Physiology....and on and on. These were definitely my favorite classes-but I think what I loved most is how much each class strengthened my testimony. The days I spent studying how the body works and how it responds to exercise just reaffirmed even more what I already knew. That the body is so complex and works so well together. And something that amazing could only be created by an all-knowing God. And I loved how we talked about that daily in class. I really can't imagine learning any other way. And I doubt I would have enjoyed learning as much.

But even more importantly my professors talked about, that it wasn't really importance HOW much we know. But what we DO with the things that we know. I'll never forget the day that I was sitting down with one of my favorite professors. I had come to deliver the news, that I wasn't going to be able to be his teaching assistant the next semester, or help him with research, or go to graduate school the next year. (all things him and I had talked about me doing.) Instead Bri and I had decided it was time to start our family-and that's the next thing I would be taking on, because I was pregnant. I really, really thought that he would be a little bit disappointed, and I was dreading the disappointed look I was sure to see on his face. But instead, he sat me down and told me that what I had decided to do was much more important than a masters degree, and told me over and over again what a great mother I was going to be. I was so touched that a guy with his doctorate in Exercise Physiology that is SO passionate about learning would take the time to tell me how important my job at home was going to be. 



My time at BYU not only taught me a lot about Exercise, Nutrition, and Health and Wellness, but it also taught me how to do hard things, even when I really didn't want to. It taught me how to ask for help, even when it hurt my pride a little bit. It taught me how to get to know new people and make friends everywhere I am. It taught me the importance of saving money--so that I would be able to afford my books for the semester. :) It helped me to learn to love learning, and strengthened my testimony of the gospel more than any other time of my life. All things I hope that by learning for myself, I can teach to my babies. 


And now for a little picture overload from Graduation Ceremonies.   

Commencement
^^my friend Jeff. we studied together/saw each other daily because we were in almost every single class together.

Convocation

 ^^i sort of love this picture. crying baby & bottle in hand. that's real life right there.
^we ran into our friend from our home ward in idaho that we hadn't seen in ages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment